Thursday, January 7, 2010

Rocking the detox

Okay, so I'm not "old" technically...but I feel old. All of a sudden, my age is catching up with me. The face in the mirror is 20, but this body certainly is not. My knees are creaking, my back is a mess (thanks to two beautiful children), and I'm tired. All. the. time.

So I'm doing something about it.

Me, and a bunch of other lovely, strong women I've been blessed to meet are doing a detox together. Nothing crazy. Not those "off the shelf" things you hear advertised all the time. We're just using plain ol' food. Imagine that! A few supplements (like Vitamin D and Whole Food), and we're good to go.

So far, so good. Today is Day 4. The first part of the program is 2 weeks -- a colon cleanse. A whole lotta fruit, and a whole lotta vegetables. No wheat, sugar, dairy or red meat. Of course, my body and mind almost had a revolt before we started. How can I, a grade A certified sugar addict go without for TWO WHOLE WEEKS?!?!?!

I wasn't sure I could. Actually, I wasn't sure I could go without red meat for 2 weeks. But, so far so good.

Day 1, I didn't eat enough and was a raging lunatic. Rather bitchy, even for hormonal ol' me. By Day 2, the toxins were starting to escape and I had a giant headache. In the middle of the night, while feeding my baby, I honestly wondered if anyone had died from a headache. So I caved and took an ibuprofen. Much, much better. By Day 3, the craving for sugar was gone. Oh sure, I still am craving food. I can see the stuff in the store, or in my house, and it's calling my name...but I am not listening. For once in my life, something is stronger than the sugar. Not sure where I'm getting this willpower from. It's not really like me. I mean, I didn't get this body overnight. Oh no, this is tried-and-true lack of willpower people! So why now?

Day 4. Well, I'm down 3lbs. 3lbs in 3 days...yep, that's motivating. And I feel good. I don't feel so puffy or something. This afternoon is hard. It's the first day I've actually wanted to rip open a bag of chips, so I'm eating celery instead. Same crunch, but better for me :) And all my hummus is gone now, so I may be BACK at the grocery store tonight. I am getting rather sick of the grocery store trips. Obviously, this is teaching me how to be uber organized too!

One day at a time, I'm committed to making this work.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home