Saturday, January 9, 2010

What am I good at?

Today, I was watching my son play with his train set.  As always, I'm amazed by his excellent fine motor skills.  He's got so many things he's good at, even at his young age.  I'd love to take all the credit for that, but I know that a lot of it is just him. 

So what am I good at?  What are the "special gifts" that I bring to the world?  I'm sure I could name some if pressed, but the one that comes to mind immediately is sleeping.  Yes, you heard it.  I'm good at sleeping.  If there was an Olympic sport for sleeping, I'd win gold. 

I had mono in second year university, and I've never quite been the same.  I need a lot of sleep.  A full night's sleep AND a nap is my idea of heaven.  (well, finish that off with a glass of wine, and then that's pretty close to perfection in my eyes)  Our first child is a champion sleeper...always has been.  He takes after me I think.  When I found out I was pregnant with our second child, I wasn't worried about how busy I'd be, or how I'd cope with two kids.  Nope, not me.  I worried about how much sleep I'd lose when the new baby came along. 

Somehow, I've been coping.  Perhaps not well, but I've been coping.  Fortunately, my husband is used to my bizarre need-for-sleep and takes the kids each weekend so I can either sleep in, or have an afternoon nap.  It helps me "catch up" and prepare for the week.  Baby #2 still hasn't figured out how to nap for any great length of time when his brother does, nor is he sleeping through the night yet.  I feel like I am struggling...constantly.  I'm always tired. 

I'm tired of being tired.  This is probably the number one reason I'm doing this detox.  I need some energy.  I need to be able to do more than just "cope".  I want to actually be present in this life I'm living.  I want to stop living in a fog of sleeplessness and fatigue.  And I'm quite sure my husband wants me to stop napping. 

Today was the first day in MONTHS I didn't sleep in and I didn't nap.  I had breakfast with my family.  I took my baby swimming.  I worked out in the afternoon.  I held my baby and made him laugh over and over. I danced in the family room with my toddler.  I made dinner with my husband.  And I rocked my baby to sleep and watched him smile and laugh, even as his eyes were closed. 

I was HERE.  All day, I was here.  And I'm full.  Physically and emotionally, I'm full. 

Here's hoping tomorrow is as good.  But for now, I'll relish today. 

1 Comments:

At January 10, 2010 at 10:38 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

Could not have said that any better myself lady! Good for you to live in those moments are enjoy your family!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home