Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The ties that bind

This isn't my first trip to the rodeo. 

I have a confession.  This isn't my first detox.  Okay, it's my first FOOD detox, but this is about so much more than just food.  And every time I "detox" my life, I find out who, and what, is really important. 

Six years ago, when my first marriage was ending, I ended up doing the fastest, most painful detox of my life.  I was surrounded by toxic people masquerading as friends, and I was a shell of my former self -- fat, self-loathing, depressed.  While going though a painful life-change, it became very apparent very quickly who was really there for me, who really loved me.  More importantly, loved me for me -- flawed and imperfect as I am.  Out of that painful chapter emerged some really beautiful friendships.  Some old, some new.  Strong women, with broken and imperfect hearts of their own, giving of themselves to help me through a tough time.  I gave up on the old friendships that weren't working for me anymore, lost the weight, moved on from the depression, and became a new me.  A successful detox if you ask me.

I've also detoxed my emotional baggage.  Too many issues for this poor blog led me to several stints in counselling.  Let me say that I'm a HUGE believer in counselling and think it's wonderful.  But it's work.  You have to be willing to be open and honest.  Having said that, it is absolutely amazing to submit to the revelations that come from dealing with the issues that plague you.  To be wide open like that, completely vulnerable but at the same time completely honest....well, that's the best kind of detox.  After my last emotional detox, I met my husband.  Another successful detox I think! 

Now here I am, detoxing again.  This time, I'm detoxing my unhealthy behaviours.  Obviously I hope to lose some weight, but more importantly, I want to establish some healthy patterns for my family.  We were halfway there already, but this detox is pushing me to go all the way.  Which I love.  But the best part of all this is that I'm once again surrounded by wonderful, beautiful, strong women who are giving of themselves to support me through the process.  I'm making new friendships and strengthening old ones while walking along side people who GET it.  No matter what happens with this detox (meaning:  whether I lose the weight or not), I know that I'm making life-long connections with some pretty fantastic people.  We may have all "come to the table" for the same reason, but our reasons for continuing and staying are not.  However it's comforting to know there is someone in your corner, picking you up when you fall and pushing you to achieve your goal.  And that's success in my books.

1 Comments:

At January 14, 2010 at 5:39 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

Awwww...you are going to make me cry lady!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home