Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A baby on strike

The last few weeks have been difficult in our house.  Between back to back illnesses and teething, the baby has been somewhat...challenging.  He finally got over a cold and popped his first tooth so I thought we might be in the clear. 

But no.  Tooth # 2 seems to be presenting an even larger issue than the first one.  Or, because the first one was masked by a cold/cough that lasted over a month, it's very possible I didn't realize how sensitive to teething he really is. 

And now he's on strike.

I've never had to deal with this before.  Of course, I say "never" rather tongue in cheek considering I only have one other child to compare him to.  In all seriousness, I KNEW I had it easy with my first child, but the baby is certainly reminding me of that fact over and over again.  The toddler never "teethed".  His first tooth showed up one day when he was about 10 months old.  It took until just this past fall, when he was nearly 2.5 for his final teeth -- his incisors -- to show up.  Apparently they are the most painful.  I wouldn't know that though, because he never complained.  He also never, ever refused a feed.  I could have fed that child anytime, anywhere.  He was agreeable and adaptable.  And still is.

I know that the baby is in pain.  The drool is out of control and causing a nasty rash on his cheeks, chin and chest.  His sleep is terrible.  And yesterday, he went 12 hours and only nursed twice in that time.  And those were mostly out of necessity...he was that starving.  Of course, he makes up for it in the night, up every 1-2 hours to feed.  Which, I don't begrudge him.  I want him to eat.  But it's exhausting for mommy.

Logically, I know there is very little I can do about this mini nursing strike.  We're still trying to find ways to manage his pain, and so far, having very little success.  The good news is, in between times, he's a very happy baby.  Emotionally, though, it's hard knowing you're the "food train" so to speak and your child doesn't (or can't) want that!  I can keep telling myself "he won't starve himself", but that doesn't make it any easier. 

Like everything else, he's revealing his personality to me and it's up to me to pay attention.  I already know he's a very determined little boy.  Watching him move and reach and attempt to crawl is amazing.  I suspect he may be a little bit stubborn too.  Okay, maybe more than just a "little bit".  But his smile lights up a room, and that laugh...oh he's so easy to laugh...which lets me know that he's going to enjoy life a lot. 

So for now, I'll just hug him extra close, kiss him extra amounts, and when he's ready to come back and hang out with me, I'll be ready and waiting for him. 

1 Comments:

At March 28, 2010 at 6:12 AM , Blogger Sheila's Adventures said...

Hang in there! You will get through this too. I promise.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home