Thursday, February 11, 2010

My favourite time of day

Last week, I had a few rough days in a row.  Sleep deprivation plus a baby who was fighting a cold made for one unhappy mama.  I found myself wishing the days away, waiting for 6pm when my husband comes home. 

On the weekend, I was given a very gentle (very needed) reminder to stay in the present and enjoy every moment I have with my children.  I'm glad I regained my perspective because it has opened my eyes to my favourite time of day. 

There are many, many, many moments throughout every day that I love and cherish.  But the best comes in the evening when daddy is home.  Daddy does "bath time" with the boys every night.  While he is doing that, I have a few minutes to myself to either clean up the kitchen from dinner, or just sit down and check my email.  You'd think that was my favourite time. 

The best time is actually right after baths.  The boys are enjoying "naked time" (baby just had his bath, toddler just about to bathe), and the four of us are just hanging out having fun for a few moments before the kids go to bed. 

I feel badly for my husband.  During the week, he gets about an hour of time with the baby, and maybe two hours at best with the toddler.  I know he looks forward to this time as well because it is his time to connect with the kids. 

Tonight, as the baby was working on getting up on all fours, and the toddler was running around stark naked and laughing his head off, I felt totally and utterly happy.  And blessed.  Blessed that these boys (and one man) are MINE.  It made me want to press the pause button.  There is something so innocent about the little bare bums, and the silliness of a two and a half year old, and just letting the kids be

It's always so sad when this moment is over...the baby starts getting cold and fussy because it's time for him to eat and go to bed.  I have my alone moments with him as we close out the day.  I get the last hugs and kisses from the toddler before he goes to bed (there is something magical about chubby arms around your neck), and I find myself looking forward to tomorrow night.

1 Comments:

At February 12, 2010 at 6:39 AM , Blogger Sheila's Adventures said...

I know what you mean. Etienne does the majority of bedtimes too. It is one of my favourite times too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home