Sunday, February 7, 2010

What is up with my child?!?!

I can't figure the baby out. 

This child is quite possibly the most unpredictable child ever.  For quite awhile, his daytime naps were terrible with a capital T.  But since I've cut out sugar, he's been having more predictable, longer naps.  Which is fantastic.  I'm almost at the point where I can plan a day around when he will eat and sleep...it's been pretty steady for the last few weeks. 

But what is with the nights?!?!?  I don't get it.  I have lots of theories about what is going on.  I think the biggest issue is that he is always growing, so he needs to wake frequently to feed.  He's not getting enough during the day, and so he still needs me at night.  So why not feed more frequently during the day?  Well that's a great idea,. Trouble is, if he's not hungry, he won't eat.  Which is GREAT.  Definitely a skill I need to learn. 

It isn't the waking up I mind.  If he is hungry, obviously I want to feed him.  What I can't figure out is why is there never two nights the same??  About 2 weeks ago, he was going about 8-9 hours with one wake up, then waking again at 7am.  Awesome.  For the last 10 days or so, there have been multiple wake-ups each night.  Sometimes his first wake up is as early as 11pm, sometimes it's 2am.  I hate that when I go to bed, I never know when I'll be up.  It also makes going out in the evenings difficult, as I'm constantly worried that he's going to wake up while I'm gone. 

Which brings me to another interesting phenomenon.  He seems to have a special powers.  A "sixth sense" if you will.

Every time I go out in the evening, he wakes up.  And we're not talking just a random wake-up that can be solved with a soother reset.  No, it's full on, inconsolable crying.  It isn't just for a few minutes either.  It goes on for an hour, hour and a half.  I went out three nights this past week.  It happened all three times.  It doesn't seem to happen when I'm home. 

Scratch that.  Mid-post, the baby woke up...inconsolably crying.  He wouldn't feed either, so it's not like I have some magic touch that can stop it.  At least it only lasted 10 minutes.  He's back asleep now...for how long, no one knows. 

So WHAT is going ON?!?! 

If it was teeth, wouldn't he behave like this at other points during the day?  Is my diet giving him such bad gas that he's waking with stomach pains?  Is he growing again and in pain? 

Any insight appreciated.  I'm trying not to let the sleep deprivation get to me, or the guilt that is associated with me leaving the house.  I'm struggling with both right now. 

3 Comments:

At February 7, 2010 at 6:53 PM , Blogger About..... said...

Wish I had insight. All I know is at 4 months this was Jenna. Swaddling helped. So did having something the smelled like me in her bed. She also started hating sleeping on her back at that age. Remember I had to make sure I had lots of fat-and that seemed to help hold her over. She was waking up 2 times, then down to one.
Umm--beans/and broccoli/cauliflower were terrible on her tummy.
And you deserve to leave the house!!!!! It will pass..it really will.....its a hump---")

 
At February 8, 2010 at 6:52 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

Mystery solved! Sick baby!! Poor dear and mommy!

 
At February 8, 2010 at 8:51 AM , Blogger Sheila's Adventures said...

Hope it gets better from here. Hang in there friend.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home