Thursday, January 21, 2010

Habits

It's amazing how quickly you can change a habit.  If you want to, that is. 

For the last few months, as I've been dealing with the craziness two small children can bring, I have slumped into a nasty habit of eating my way through the afternoon.  And evening.  I'd put the toddler to bed in the afternoon, perhaps the baby would be sleeping too, and I'd welcome the sweet relief a little silence brought.  I could sit down (finally!) and have a few minutes to myself.  Sometimes that silence would be accompanied by chocolate, sometime chips...there was always something to snack on.  In the evenings, feeling totally exhausted, I'd park myself on the couch to watch a little TV, spend a little time with my husband, and both of us would indulge in more snacking.  Over Christmas, I even added some drinks to the evening "ritual". 

There is comfort in ritual. 

Besides changing mealtime habits, part of this process has helped change my overall daily habits.  I have to admit, I like my new rituals.  Life isn't getting any calmer -- I'd say it's just getting crazier.  Between nursings, feeding the toddler, play time, errands, laundry, keeping the house (somewhat) clean, nap time, potty training, making dinner...sigh...the list does seem endless some days.  I still look forward to that quiet time in the afternoon when both children are napping.  But instead of filling the silence with food, I'm spending my time working out.  My energy levels are great because of the food I'm eating, but adding in the workouts has given me the extra "push" to get through the rest of the day.  Even when I crash on the couch after the kids are in bed, it's a good kind of tired.  I know that I have accomplished a lot in my day.  I've been present for my kids, in every way possible and I've been there for myself.  That's the most important thing.  Putting time in every day for me.

I'm doing this for me.  I'm doing this so I can be a healthier (and hopefully thinner!) version of me.  But by putting myself first, I'm actually doing this for everyone in my family.  We all win.  And all it's taken is a few little changes here and there. 

There is comfort in rituals.

1 Comments:

At January 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM , Blogger Sheila's Adventures said...

To new rituals!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home