Friday, January 22, 2010

My failing body

Earlier this evening I saw a new chiropractor.  I feel like I'm cheating on my current chiropractor, but my mom has been so concerned about the state of back she wanted me to get a second opinion from her guy.  So after she made the appointment for me, I went. 

Now, I'm open to trying new things, but I also happen to be pretty loyal.  Once I find someone I like (be it esthetician, hair dresser, massage therapist, whatever), I stick with them.  I like my chiropractor.  He's a nice guy and I always feel good after my adjustments.  The results of the adjustments don't last long, but I've been chalking that up to the fact that I don't have a lifestyle right now that would allow my back to heal.  I leave his office and have to immediately pick up a child.  It's just the way it is. 

After talking with this new guy, and then him doing an assessment, I realized how messed up my back really is.  He even strongly recommended I get a req from my doctor for a CT scan so that we truly know what we're dealing with.  I know a lot of my issue is from weak muscles, and after two pregnancies, I have no ab strength.  I'm working quite hard on improving that right now, but it takes time.  Anyway, it was a very long appointment because he was so thorough, and I felt like if I stick with him I may actually see an improvement. 

The one thing he kept saying to me over and over was that I am "still young" and we need to get this fixed now while I have "youth" on my side.  I found that so funny.  I feel like my body has been failing me for years.  Between the back issues, which have led to chronic pain issues, combined with knee pain, I feel like I've been falling apart by inches for a long time now. 

The good thing about this week is I've made working out a priority.  I've spent at least an hour each day doing some strength training and cardio and I feel pretty good.  My back has been the best this week that it has been in ages.  Intellectually, I have known for a long time that "exercise will help".  I just haven't worked this hard to make it a priority.  I've tried the gym, and just like everything else, I've failed at that.  But I'm not a gym girl.  I think you need to take what you have and make it work for you.  What I'm doing may not work for anyone else, but that's not the point.  The point is that I have found something I like doing, it's working for me and I'm seeing results.  I'm building strength in my body on all fronts.  Maybe there is a chance my failing body will do a complete turnaround. 

Hopefully the new chiropractor can help me with this turnaround -- hopefully I like him and I'll see results.  But how do I break up with my old chiropractor?

1 Comments:

At January 23, 2010 at 4:39 AM , Blogger Sheila's Adventures said...

Start off by "taking a break" and see how things go with the new guy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home