Thursday, January 28, 2010

Personality Traits

I have many favourite things about being a mom, but one of the most fascinating things is discovering my children's individual personalities.  They are just so interesting...and SO different!  And yet, a little the same too. 

When a child is born, everyone is always trying to figure out who they look like.  Even now, it's the first thing people say -- "oh, the baby looks so much like you/your husband/your grandfather/our family" and so on.  It's crazy.  Obviously when you mix two gene pools, some of their features are going to resemble SOMEONE on either side.  They may even resemble me (I was their home for 9 months after all).  But to me, they just look like themselves.  They are so darn cute it hurts my heart just looking at them sometimes.

But what I love is finding out what kind of people they are.  I remember paying such close attention to the toddler when he was a baby...I wanted to know if his quirks would show up later when he could walk and talk.  And they have!  He was always so babbly, not interested in working on his gross motor skills.  Same now.  He is so chatty, and not a climber or a jumper.  He's happy to sit and play and is really a rather calm boy. 

The baby is also VERY babbly.  I assumed our second baby would be a quiet one, thinking that the older child would speak for him.  Not so.  This baby has found his voice!  Not only does he babble, but he is forceful with his voice.  He's calm and content most of the time.  But when he's bored or tired or hungry, he'll let you know in no uncertain terms.  I have to remember this about him for when he gets older.  He's also VERY active.  He moves non-stop!  He rolls, he wiggles, he just seems to be constantly on the move.  I think we're in for a bit of trouble with him in that regard, and for the first time ever, we may actually have to baby proof our house! 

I contemplate the nature vs. nurture argument a lot.  I know that the example we set and the values we instill in our children will account for something.  But that innate part of who they are at the core...THAT is what I want to know.  I want to know so I can parent my children to the best of my ability.  Not apply some parenting techniques just because I think they're a good idea.  I know that in order for me to allow my children to grow and thrive I need to know their heart completely so that I can parent them the way that THEY need. 

I know I'll have failures, and I know that I'll make mistakes.  But I hope at the end of my life, my children will know that I loved them enough to really KNOW them.  And I'm working very hard to be the best I can be for them.  Even now, when they're small and love me no matter what I do and can't tell I have flaws. 

God knew what he was doing when he gave these little people to me.  These little people who will challenge me and help me grow and teach me a love I didn't know was possible.  And a level of frustration I didn't know existed too. 

I am blessed to have these children.  They deserve to have a complete and present me.  Even though the detox is officially winding down (3 more days!), we are committed to making this way of living...this clean eating...our new lifestyle.  I can't imagine going backwards.  I know I can't give up this energy or my health. 

2 Comments:

At January 29, 2010 at 3:30 PM , Blogger About..... said...

You just made me really want to re-evaluate my approach with *A*. She's mine for a reason-I want to KNOW her-and give her what she needs. Thankyou for the reminder :)

 
At January 30, 2010 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Sheila's Adventures said...

Well said! BTW one of the new pics on Facebook and Rowan is all you!!! Love you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home