Sunday, January 31, 2010

To new beginnings...

Whenever someone makes a toast, they usually comment on what is great about the present and what they hope for the future.  So here is my "toast" to me....

Day 28 ....today is my last official day of detoxing.  I can't believe it's been a MONTH.  More importantly, I can't believe how much I've learned, and how quickly I reclaimed my body.  In 28 days, I've lost 9lbs.  I'm happy with that because I know my body has been kick started into our new lifestyle. 

Last night, I was blessed to have an impromptu date with my husband (thanks for babysitting mom!!!).  We haven't been as good about dating this time as we were after having the toddler, and I've missed having a little alone time with him.  We went to a movie, which was great.  We splurged and went to the VIP section of the Westmount theatre.  So nice!  They have in-seat service, and my beloved had a beer delivered right to our chair.  The amazing thing to me was that I didn't even crave a drink.  I really and truly didn't want one.  I love red wine, and I really enjoy beer....so the fact that I didn't even want to have one was a bit surprising.  But like I said to my husband, I'd rather wait and save that first glass of alcohol for a special occasion.  And since our anniversary is in less than a month, I think I'll save it for then.  Intellectually, I've always known that cutting out alcohol would be a key to my weight loss.  Not that I drink often, but when we're out for dinner, or having a special family occasion, I'd have a glass of wine (or two).  And when I was pregnant, all I really wanted was a good glass of wine.  But now...well let's just say my lack of desire for a nip was even surprising to me.  We did have popcorn and it made me feel so nauseous!  Lesson learned. 

So what's next?  There is lots of really great reading out there supporting the clean eating lifestyle.  I'm excited to add in some grains to my diet (quinoa is first on the list!), and there are so many good recipes I want to try, I'm not sure where to start first!  Really, I just can't get over how easy this switch has been for me, and how I don't even miss my old ways.  Keeping my diet gluten-free should be fairly easy, but on the odd occasion when I can't avoid it, so be it.  I plan to keep my dairy intake to the bare minimum, because I also think that not having dairy has helped me feel my best this month.  Obviously I'm going to keep sugar on my "avoid" list, and I plan to keep with the "no eating after 7pm" rule.  All of these things have helped me -- helped my energy level, helped me lose weight, and most importantly, helped me gain control of my life again.

For me, this detox wasn't a "start and stop" thing.  It was the start of a new way of life.  I don't view the detox being over as an "end".  I know it was an important process to go through because now my system is totally cleaned out, and as I continue going forward, I'm adding in good things on top of good things!  I don't plan on changing much, just adding in some new meals. 

So here's to me as I continue on this journey and explore eating clean.  May my family continue to reap the benefits.   

1 Comments:

At February 1, 2010 at 5:17 PM , Blogger Sheila's Adventures said...

To Shannon . . .

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home