Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Bugs

I have a fear of bugs.

I'm sure this isn't surprising, as most women I know have some sort of fear of the icky, crawly things.  Spiders, snakes, insects....I have ZERO love for them.  I suppose they all have some part to play in the rhythm of life, but I have no desire to know what that is. 

Being the only woman in the house means that I'm in for a bit of trouble.  If my niece can pick up bullfrogs and carry them around at the tender age of 5, I'm sure my sons will do at LEAST that....if not worse.  (My niece is now 8 and very girly...wonder if she'll be picking up bullfrogs this summer....) 

Right outside our front door is a HUGE colony of ants.  And I mean HUGE.  Last spring, my husband managed to make a natural ant-killer and covered our front pathway and steps.  However, the ants are back, in full force.  I don't know where they've come from, but they are everywhere.  As we were coming in the house the other day, my oldest son just stopped and stared at all the movement on the ground.  Of course, the "what's that" questions followed.  I managed to give a few quick answers and ushered him into the house with very little incident.  But it got me thinking...how long before he wants to touch bugs?  Pick them up?  SHOW me his new prizes?!?  I shudder at the thought. 

The last place I want my children to learn fear is from me.  I don't want them to enter into life with preconceived notions like "bugs are scary".  I want to nurture their curiosity and help them learn about the world around them, even if it's something I have no interest in.  I mean, that's my job...right?  Hopefully, most of this will be my husband's domain (they can discuss it while he's teaching them to bait fishing hooks), but the reality is, I'm with the kids the most.  During the summer, it will be me taking them outside.  At some point I'm going to have to get over my fears and encourage my children to be open to the world around them. 

At the very least, I know I need to wipe the "ewww gross" look off my face when I'm explaining what ants are to the 2 year old.  That is a start...right?

1 Comments:

At April 6, 2010 at 12:25 PM , Blogger Sheila's Adventures said...

Start there. One bug at a time. But I am with you - ewwww gross!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home