Saturday, May 15, 2010

Changing your mind

When having a discussion with someone, what does it take to change your mind?  In a debate, will you fight your side to the end, or are you open to an alternative point of view?  If someone tells you something, do you believe them, or do you require them to come to you with a sourced list of proof?

I love learning new things.  Well, when the subject matter interests me that is.  I'm certainly not signing up for any math classes these days!  I've noticed that I'm quick to believe things that are shared with me when a) I trust the person who is giving the information and b) it sounds true.  And by that I mean that it sounds like common sense.  When I decided to change my lifestyle, one of the first things to go had to be sugar.  Considering I'm a sugar addict, you would think that would have been difficult for me.  But as soon as I started finding out what sugar actually does to you, it became easier and easier to give it up.  (I'm referring to refined sugar -- I still use organic cane sugar, or other natural sugar alternatives when baking etc) 

I tend to be a bit ...zealous...when I'm passionate about something.  I'm acutely aware that I could learn a bit of grace in that department.  However, I find it very painful when people have information right in front of them and either refuse to believe it, or don't bother seeking out information in the first place!  I have found myself in several conversations lately where I am either debating with someone who clearly doesn't want to change their mind, or who has asked that I provide them with proof to back up what I was saying. 

Proof?  What kind of "proof" would make you believe me?  And what is the point of a debate unless it is to open your mind to an alternative point of view?  Of course, as I'm writing this, I realize that when it comes to certain subject matters, I'm never going to change my mind either.  But if you're seeking out the information, are you doing so because you actually want to learn? 

Keep pushing yourself to learn and grow.  Eat better.  Exercise.  Stretch your mind.  The proof will come when you feel better and know more.  No one will believe you when you tell them how easy it is. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home